Location: San Francisco, CA
Engineers at Bloomberg are encouraged to use the right tool for the job, and lately, Python has become a tool of choice. That's why we need your help building out an enterprise Python environment from the ground up.
Who are we? A small San Francisco-based team looking to make Python a first-class language for infrastructure, applications and prototyping at Bloomberg. Our goal is to make it easier for teams to adopt Python where it makes sense.
Who are you? A Jack or Jill of all trades willing to get your hands dirty in every aspect of Python from building to packaging to deployment. You understand the internals of Python, how the language is trending and can easily describe the key differences between Python 2 and 3. You enjoy working in an enterprise environment creating tools for other developers.
We'll trust you to:
- Set and drive the direction for enterprise-wide Python development
- Build infrastructure for Bloomberg-specific Python modules and native (C/C++) libraries
- Investigate differences between teams' operating systems and architectures to understand potential issues
- Be a Python evangelist for the firm and advise teams on how they should build Python systems or debug a critical issue
- Coordinate our open-source engagement with the Python community
You need to have:
- Familiarity with C/C++ (you should be familiar with C/C++ modules for Python or other interpreted languages)
- 2+ years of experience programming in Python
- Knowledge of UNIX-based operating systems
- Experience with shell scripting (a plus)
If this sounds like you, submit an application, take a tour of our office (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92fptaZJyo), and meet a few of our first engineers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmUe3aqxnY).